Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting to the finish line

Yay! Ava is medically, officially full term as of TODAY! Woohoo! That means a few things. One, my uterus has done its job and she has grown to be a healthy, viable baby, so I didn't screw up too badly anywhere along the line. Two, they for sure won't stop labor if it starts now, barring some unforseen event. Woohoo! Good things, good times, and really, good grief. Now it's just a big ole waiting game (hah, like it wasn't before).

The past two days, she has been fairly quiet, actually. There was a one or two week period there where she was really active, all the time. I wrote it off to her getting cramped and tired of small spaces. At first I was worried about the inactivity, but my grandma said that as long as she is still moving sometimes, it's totally normal. It's just gotten to the point that she doesn't even have enough room to kick me- which is fine by me! Less pain and more of a chance she'll get sick of it all and push off. My grandma also said that quiet days usually directly proceed labor. Also fine by me. Kind of. Sort of. My nesting, however hardcore it may be, is also intermittent, so I'm not entirely ready. However, given that my mother is descending upon our new place tomorrow for the first time, we'll have to be good to go at that point, so I'm not too worried.

Still, I don't know that all the planning and preparation in the world can ease all of the fears. After my last post about some of the things I'd been freaking out about, a few people reached out to calm me down (much appreciated, by the way). That's actually helped with a lot of the logical, immediate concerns I've had. Unfortunately, my mind, I guess, is still ill at ease, because once the dreams begin when I go to bed, it's a nightmarish roller coaster. I've dreamt of indentured servitude, the baby being born with a tumor on her eye, rolling over on the baby, the boy's brother's girlfriend being rushed to the emergency room (there's a mouthful for ya!), and not being able to find the baby after letting someone hold her for a bit. NOT fun stuff to wake up thinking about. Still, at least the "boy leaving me" scenario has been tabled. If he's in the dreams ever these days, he's super supportive. Kind of like real life :)

Actually, the other night I was really feeling ill, and he was a super hero. It had started earlier in the day when I began feeling kind of weak. I just figured I was hungry because, well, I can always eat these days, plus I'd been cleaning and reorganizing things in the living room all afternoon. I ate a little bit, felt a little bit better, and then started getting hot flashes and the chills. At that point, I thought maybe I was getting dehydrated again, so I started drinking more water. Unfortunately, by the time I went to bed, I felt even worse. I thought I might throw up, explode, give birth, or all three at once. There were nausea pains paired with false labor pains, and I was most certainly in tears. We'd been trying to watch an episode of Weeds, but I just couldn't do it anymore.

The boy was great though. He walked me to the shower to make sure I didn't fall (I was feeling pretty dizzy), and then waited in the bathroom to make sure I was ok. I told him he didn't have to, that I'd call if I needed help, and he merely replied, "You feel bad, and I can't do anything to help you feel better. This is the closest to doing something that I'm going to get. Let me do it." He genuinely cares about me and the baby, and it's moments like that, where he could have just gone to bed and let me deal with my misery (as I'm rarely good company when in such pain. Think Medusa on some kind of crack) but chooses to endure my sniping instead, just to be near me, that I realize how lucky I am to have someone who cares so much about me. I don't know what I did to deserve such a wonderful man, but I am beyond thankful.

Well, I suppose I better get back into nesting mode again before I start work. Here's to Ava being medically certified to be alive!

No comments: