Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's Up

I have decided that my home is the place that energy goes to die. I go up to the office, and I'm feeling great, I'm on a buzz, I'm ready to work. I come home, and suddenly, I'm more sleepy than Ava is when we go for a drive. All of my best intentions fall to the wayside. I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that my home will never be pristine. It will be clean and sanitary, but flawless? No. Sigh.

In other news, preparation for KF-Yay was stepped up today. KFA is the Kentucky State Championship for speech and debate. It's a good time, but it's a different type of competition than we're used to seeing, and will certainly require a lot of adapting from our debaters. I have faith in them though. Different doesn't mean bad- just different.

Grandma Nelson is in the hospital right now (mine, not Ava's). She was admitted several days ago, but I don't think I'm really... dealing with it right now. The timing is just so similar to Grandma Schmitt last year, and I don't think I could deal with it if... ok, no, not thinking about it... but you get the point. It's congestive heart failure, which sounds a lot worse than it is, but she also has blood clots in her lungs. She hasn't taken very good care of herself, and I worry so much about her :( There's not much I can do but pray and stay busy.

Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. Now, those of you who know me know I'm not very religious. I have my beliefs, but I'm just not very public or loud about them. I had an unpleasant taste in my mouth over the Catholic Church post-confirmation, and still have my misgivings about some Church doctrine, but I think I will probably attend mass with Ava. Though Adam and I will probably have to talk about it some more, and despite my wariness of catechism classes, I am leaning towards enrolling Ava when she comes of age. What she believes will fall to her, but at the very least, an education in Christianity, and in particular, the Bible, holds immeasurable academic value (how many biblical allusions did YOU discuss in your school years?).

But I digress. With Ash Wednesday comes Lent, and with Lent, a sacrifice. I've been mullling over what I might want to give up. I'm still contemplating. I'm leaning towards soda, but it is so cliche. I'm also considering giving up Facebook, but I don't know if I could do it. We'll have to wait and see. I do have a few more days to decide.

As a side note, I am SOOO excited that I am not going to be travelling for Ava's first Easter! I was never huge on Easter as a holiday, but little girl dresses with frills and tights and shiny shoes and bonnets.... I cannot WAIT! It will be tremendously adorable. Adam's not a big Easter guy either, but I will twist his arm into participating. He'll thank me for it later :)

Ok, that's all for now. Much love folks!

1 comment:

The Billmans said...

Don't give up facebook! You should give up something non-essential...like meat or dairy or something.

Additionally, Ava will need an Easter hat. Trust.