Monday, June 30, 2008

Stupid Doctors

So like I said, I'd had all of the pains coming inconsistently. Making things worse, there were a couple of symptoms that indicated my mucus plug had come out. I know that sounds gross, but it refers the build up of material at the base of the cervix to hold the baby and all that entails inside. So last night, concerned about the manifestation of stabbing pains originating at my belly button on top of everything else, I called labor and delivery.

The doctors told me what I had already figured- that until pain comes consistently, it isn't labor. Still, just wanted to be sure there weren't any complications. The nurse advised that I lay on my left side, drink a lot of water, and call my doctor in the morning to see what's up.

Well, I slept in until one, as I'm still on the boy's nocturnal sleep schedule, and then got up to go renew the registration on our car. I was going to call my doctor beforehand, but they were going to be out to lunch until 1:30, so I decided to do the errands first. Once I finally figured out where I was supposed to be, the line was so long and my back hurt so bad that I decided to screw it and head back. In the car, I called the doctor. The nurse who answered instructed me to go straight to Labor and Delivery, so I told her that they had told me not to the night before. She put me on hold, and my doctor got on the phone, curtly ordering me to go to the hospital right away. Great.

I was right by the hospital as it was, so I started to head over. Panic began to set in- I was SO not ready to have this baby! I kept trying to get a hold of the boy, but he wasn't picking up, so I had to text him. In the elevator on the way up to the appropriate wing, I was near tears. I kept thinking, I'm 21, pregnant, scared, and by myself- I can't be about to have a baby.

They hooked me up to all the machines and asked the typical battery of questions. The whole time I had to remind myself to keep breathing. I know it sounds absurd, but I felt like I was this impostor- like I was supposed to be screaming and bloody or not there at all.

After a little bit, the nurse informed me that I had developed an irritable uterus, which translates into a whole bunch of mini-contractions. So... not labor, but still painful. They had be drink Gatorade and sent me on my way. I'm dialated to one, meaning nothing is happening.

In other words, I wasted a whole bunch of time, and felt like a complete oaf. I had told myself I wouldn't be one of those women who cried wolf, and thanks to my doctor, I was in just such a position. Of course, now I'm in a whole lot more pain, but I don't want to make any more phone calls in case it just lands me back in that dumb hospital feeling like a moron. Great, right?

AGH.

No comments: