Friday, February 15, 2008

One Helluva Valentine's day

UFFDA. I think that's Norwegian for "Oh my goodness," but even if it's not, it's Nelson for exasperation. The kid is currently burrowing into my lower back. I think they're angry at me for not sleeping as much as I wish I could. You'd think little Addison/Ethan would be a bit more understanding; I did switch jobs for their well-being! Although the impetus may have initially been my screaming feet...
Originally, I was a server at Applebees. I had gotten the job the very day that I found out I was pregnant, but I deluded myself into thinking I had the pain endurance ability to push through. Yeah, right. I have nothing but respect for the women who do pull off being a server for 9 months of pregnancy, but I am not one of them. I am the one who wishes she could have the epidural to quell even Braxton-Hicks contractions.
In any case, I've left Applebees, and I am currently working from home. The company I work for has me editing medical transcripts, which is beyond convenient for those times, like now, where the baby is not interested in me paying attention to anything but their pounding feet. It's also great because it means I can work right up till labor, and resume when I'm coherent. Considering what Valentines Day did to my checkbook, this is a lifesaver!
Speaking of Valentines Day- Happy Hallmark Profits Celebration! No, I'm not one of those people who are overly cynical about everything; honestly, I love Cupid Day. What I hate is the uncertainty surrounding it. What should I wear? Where are we going? What should I expect? What should I get him? OI VEY. Italian this time. I'm switching it up.
This year, the boy was particularly hard to shop for. His interests are basically fish, video games, and me. Considering he already has every video game in the world, that leaves me with fish. This is also problematic, because he already has FOUR FISH TANKS in the house. There's two in the laundry room, one in our roommate's room, and one, extra-large, 125 gallon tank eating up space in the living room. He won't even let me get pretty fish! They're this strange looking aggressive ones that eat pretty fish.
Still, after hours and hours of agony, I found myself left with no choice. I would have to do fish. Thing is, the tanks are all pretty full, so my options were limited. I finally snapped, decided to hell with taking a stand, and bought a new fish tank. This time, though, I included pretty little African cichlids, so the stand for beauty remains, I suppose.
Now, the boy did good this year. He took me out to eat at a nice French place downtown and then surprised me by sweeping me off to a jacuzzi suite at a nearby hotel filled with roses and a big stuffed bear. Definitely caught me off-guard. I love him to death, but he's not real romantic, so this was BIG for him.
The most romantic part of the evening, though, was his patience. It was late by the time we got there, and I was exhausted. I took a bath, we cuddled and canoodled, and I fell asleep in bed next to him. Not quite the hot and steamy Valentines you'd anticipate, right?
THIS IS THE MORAL OF THE POST, FOR THOSE OF YOU INTERESTED. When you're pregnant, and tired to a breaking point, and emotionally drained, and all you want to do is sleep, the understanding of the one you love is the one thing you crave most. My guy may not have thought the night was a hit, but the bliss of falling asleep in his arms made this literally the best Valentine's day ever. He even rubbed my belly and asked how baby was! What a gift!
Well, it's time for this momma to get back to work. All you men out there, though, take heed: Love is patient. Don't you forget it.

No comments: