Thursday, May 22, 2008

Picking up Speed

BABY STUFF CRISIS MODE!

Also known as Post Baby Shower Overdrive Syndrome.

Also known as Lauren is LOSING IT.

Well, not really. I'm just excited, and those of you who know me know that I am functionally obsessive compulsive when something big is happening, and that I will purse my goals with tunnel vision at all costs. Unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel is baby, and thus, I am going forward at full speed and trying to figure it all out along the way. A couple of things I've noticed.

One, baby things are unnecessarily complicated to assemble. Who knew a high chair could create such a headache? You know, when I was going through and registering for the showers, I scoffed at the people who judged a product based on ease of assembly, but these days, I feel like I should have listened. The screws, parts and pieces add up in a way that makes my head spin. Of course, unlike a normal person, I decided I should just get it all done at once. Talk about a pain in the butt. Once the high chair was done, it got a little bit more simple. The swing came together fairly easily, and I've found a place for basically everything.

Two, baby has a lot of stuff. A LOT. I'm telling you- it's absolutely insane. It's not like I can just stack and go, either. You have to make sure that things are put in logical places-bathing supplies go on their own special shelf in the bathroom; a new shelf for bottles, nipples, etc and a drawer for the spoons and bottle liners (though you haven't quite figured out how they work yet); a makeshift changing table from an old computer desk with diapers and creams stacked beneath; the list goes on. What's worse, is that she has more clothes than I can shake a finger at, and all of it had to be washed in special baby detergent. At least that smelled good.

Three, I'm exhausted. I'm totally wiped out, and for no apparent reason. I try to move, and be active, and be productive, and I fail, and it sucks. On top of that, I'm trying to figure out what to tackle first, and the to do list seems too daunting to function.

Four, my doctor sucks. I go in, and she goes, by the way, you need an ultrasound, NOW, because the radiologist couldn't find the heart. Ok, problem is, she was referencing my ultrasounds, which was, by the way, 10 WEEKS AGO. So here I am thinking, shit, I have a baby, and she doesn't have a heart, and what the hell does that mean and... then the technician explains that it really just means that my uterus doesn't photograph well so we need to try to get a better picture of the heart. Here's to clarity.

Well, I'm off to settle the baby with some pizza. Wow this girl can kick.

No comments: